Have you ever wondered how to install an application not available on Google Play? Are you not familiar with terms like “APK “? We explain everything in this article: how to install an APK on your Android devices.
How to install an APK file on your device? (Summary version)
- First, you will need to open the “Settings” and then find the “Security” tab. In case you cannot find this tab, you can also search for it in the settings.
- After that activate the “Unknown Sources” option.
- Then open your “Explorer / File Manager“, then find your APK. This will usually be found in your recent downloads.
- Launch the file you just installed and follow the instructions given.
- Finally, if you want to keep a minimum of security, it is necessary to deactivate unknown sources after handling it.
This is a package where you can find files that allow you to install an application on your phone.
Why download an APK?
If the safest apps are on Google Play, why should we install the app APKs? There are several reasons for that. Indeed, stores such as Google Play and Apple Store meet security standards. As a result, an airtight net is deployed to maximize user safety during the installation of applications.
However, here is a list of reasons why you should not go through the store:
- Beta program: betas are less and less present outside traditional blinds to avoid scams.
- Geographic restrictions: let’s be honest! The fact that certain applications are not available in a certain geographical space can be restrictive for users. (We say hello to our French-speaking overseas readers who know this frustration.)
- Data centralization? It is true that some people are concerned about their privacy. It is therefore normal to offer alternatives to Google services.
How to install an APK file on your device?
Before installing your APK file, it is necessary to authorize the installation from unknown sources. Activating this feature allows your smartphone to accept the installation of applications that are not present on the Google Play Store. To access unknown sources, you need to go to open settings, open the security tab and press on unknown sources.
Go to step 3, if you have already downloaded your APK and you are sure it is a trusted source.
If this is not the case, this step is a reminder of the good practices to be adopted during any downloads. Indeed, it is important that you are able to gauge the level of confidence of the various sites which offer APKs. However, one of the criteria most highlighted during the selection is the choice of the platform on which you will choose your APK.
Indeed, platforms such as APKMirror or APKPure are considered by the Android community to be safe for downloading APK files. You can also use services such as VirusTotal or Nvisio APK Scan to detect all kinds of viruses or malware within a file.
After downloading the application, you can find it in your explorer or file manager, in the Download tab. Then simply follow the instructions that appear on the display. When choosing authorizations, do not hesitate to deactivate those that appear shady.